Sushi (すし, 寿司, 鮨?) is a famous Japanese food consisting of cooked vinegared rice combined with other ingredients, most commonly seafood, and vegetables. Pancho, Pilar’s husband, shows how we can prepare this fresh and light meal at home.
- 2 cups rice
- 1 avocado
- 1 salmon
- Wasabi powder
- 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
- Nori algae
- Other choice ingredients: shrimp, tuna, cream cheese, scallion
Step by Step
- Hand stir 2 cups rice to wash with cool water until the water turns white. Drain the water. Repeat 8 to 10 times.
- Once the rice is drained, put it in a pan. Add the same amount of cups of rice as water.
- Heat over high heat . When the water begins to boil, cover the pan and Mantené the fire burning for two minutes, then leave it on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour the rice into a large bowl and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the avocado into strips. Take off the salmon’s skin and cut into strip.
- Prepare the wasabi: Put a teaspoon wasabi powder in a small bowl. Add gradually warm water to hydrate and mix. It should look like a paste.
- Mix a teaspoon of white vinegar with the same measure of sugar and salt. Incorporate into the cold rice and mix by hand.
- Put an algae nori over a mat wrapped in plastic wrap.Spread the rice with your fingers covering 3/4 of the nori. Then add a row of salmon and/ or shrim, avocado, cream cheese, green onions, and more. We recommend having a bowl with water next to go cleaning hands.
- Roll the mat, remove and cut into pieces. Important: Use very sharp knife between cuts and pass the knife in cold water.
- Serve as soon as possible (to maintain freshness). Serve with wasabi and ginger (in Japan the wasabi is incorporated inside the sushi in between the rice and the fresh ingredients).
• • • • • Enjoy this international food in your own home.
Photos and content: Pilar and Pancho Berisso